Tuesday, January 06, 2009

4 generations.

Some time last week, the day we went to celebrate Christmas with my father in law we also went to my husband's grandmother's place. She will be 94 this year. When the oldest living person in the world will be 114 years old this year, 94 years old seems not too old eh? :) She is living alone and she does most things herself. She cooks, cleans and do some gardening when the weather permits. Now I know why my mother in law seems to be full of energy even at 63.

Here's a picture of 4 generations together. Bonnie was busy playing with the piano and refused to look at the camera.



My maternal grandmother passed away when I was 13 and my mother left us when I was 23. I can only dream to have a picture taken with my mother like this.

Anyway, we got her an electric blanket for Christmas. My mother in law, knowing her own mother, already said the old lady would say she won't need it. Sure enough the minute my husband showed her the blanket, she said, "What for?". LOL We were not surprised since we were warned, but we were amazed when she said her husband bought one 50-60 years ago when they first got married. We didn't believe her. They had electric blankets 60 years ago?? wow... She showed us a small worn out electric blanket (bet many sweet memories attached to it, LOL). We left the new electric blanket there despite knowing that she may not use it, but her son (husband's uncle) may use it when ever he sleeps over at her place. Perhaps we should have got her a heel support like a Plantar Fasciitis or heel pain relief support. Whatever it is, seems to me to satisfy a 94 year old girl is a lot more difficult than to satisfy a 3 year old one. :)

7 comments:

Petula said...

I loved this post (and love the look of your blog). My maternal grandmother will be 90 this year and I think it is amazing how well she is doing. Yours sounds so wonderful and spry.

BTW: Don't worry about the writing thing - you're doing right by studying and everything. Just let it flow naturally along with everything you're learning. Good luck - you can do it!

Farah Deen said...

this is a wonderful picture Syari. sometimes, time diorang hidup lagi, kita take for granted, dah takde baru nak menyesal. you should keep this picture forever, it is a treasure. Bukan senang nak dpt 4 generation punya gambar. you are lucky!

Mama Tatana said...

Wah long life eh!. Its great to see most european/western women lives so long. Hubby´s grandma will celebrate her 93 birthday next week. I shouldn´t forget to take 4 generations photos..hmm but one person missing, my hubby´s mom (she passed away a few years ago).

Dyah Ayu said...

Wah Syari, you mil actually looks younger than her age. I'd say she still looks like around 50 something. Maybe I should start to carry potato sacks on the stairs myself :p

Syari said...

Petula, Thanks for that piece of advice. :D

Syari said...

Farah,

Maybe Bonnie would appreciate it. She was feeling a little awkward with her "dedi" (moyang). When she's older then she would see how lucky she is to at least see her great grandmother. :D

Syari said...

Ayu, my mil would be very happy to hear that. :) She really take care of herself. She does sports. Even now she would go swimming every week. Dieting also.

Blogger news