Monday, January 05, 2009

Weight dissatisfaction.


Some women, regardless of how thin they are they would feel as if they are fat. Am I in that category? I think I am. Currently I am 52 kg. With my height being 163 cm, my body mass index is 19.6. That is in the normal range or rather within healthy range.

Both my mil and my husband say that I look just normal. A few of those who haven't seen me for a bit say that I do look thinner. One even went further by asking me whether I'm sick. LOL But I personally think, I need to lose more. At least 3-4 more kgs. The more the better. LOL

All this perhaps due to the low self image I had for myself as a teenager. I weight nearly 70 kgs? Gosh, how did that happen? I remembered crying myself to sleep after somebody commented on my weight then. But now, when somebody said, "you look really slim", I felt that person must be lying.

It is kind of sad, but fortunately I am not that obsessed with my weight. I am not bulimic nor anorexic. But truth be told, there was a time I tried vomiting out after eating. Wasn't a good experience, further I read about what it does to the body. So I stopped.

As a mother to a little girl, I do not want my daughter to feel how I felt growing up. I think the pressure to look thin for young girls of this era is a lot more compared to what our grandmothers had to go through. I have a University friend whose cousin was only 11 at that time who already started to vomit out food every time after she ate something. Shocking.

I believe parents play an important role in helping their children to have a healthy body image. I just hope I will know what to do when the time comes for me to help teach my young daughter that being healthy is much more important than being stick thin. Need to change my view of my body image too. :)

7 comments:

Farah Deen said...

oh sweetie, i think you are worrying for nothing! for that weight and that height, you can even be a runway model ok! jangan nak gatal complain pasal gemuk,kasihanilah pada org org yang sememangnya gemuk. muahahahhahaha

Syari said...

Pergh, boleh jadi model runaway ke? Don't think so arr.. hu hu hu.

I can't help feeling that I need to lose more kgs lah Farah.

comey_lote said...

I'm in the same boat...but I don't mind the weight...I'm worrying about my physical. feeling that I'm not well toned with flabby arms..err not flabby...but 'big' arms..plus perut muncit...and double chin...and my round faced, and my damaged hair...sensitive skin...arrgghhhhhhhh!!!

Syari said...

Ida, ni baru berat badan je. Don't get me started with the other things I'm not happy about myself. Mia ha ha ha. ARggghhh!!! too. LOL

Dyah Ayu said...

I couldn't agree more! The same thing happened to me during my teenage years, and it does affect my confidence even now. It's so hard to be a girl :p

Syari said...

Ayu, yup very difficult to be a girl. "sigh" My mother in law even in her 60's is still struggling to look slim. Starving herself sometimes..... I can see my future now. LOL

Petula said...

However you feel comfortable. Your BMI is healthy, but if you think you'll feel healthier a little smaller then go for it. Try not to be too hard on yourself and be sure to eat very well balanced. I know that people tell me too that I don't need to lose any more weight, but I think a few more pounds down to a certain size will be a lot more comfortable for me.

Blogger news