Saturday, November 07, 2009

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate.

They just started to give out mass vaccination against the H1N1 flu here today. On Monday we will have to give an answer at the Kindergarten whether to get Bonnie vaccinated. Reading about the side effects that may occur we are a little doubtful.

Side effects:

1. fever
2. Diarrhea
3. Vomiting
4. Muscle aches

that can last for 1-2 days. And there's the Thimerosal in the vaccine. Gosh I'm not sure really.You see, if you think about yourself it is easier to say yes or no. But when it is regarding a young child it is hard. You really, really don't want to make the wrong choice.

I also read that you can actually cure H1N1 infection if you find out and get medical help quick.

My husband and I are considering to skip the vaccine and just be alert. Go to the doctor asap when Bonnie gets fever or any other symptoms of the H1N1.

What would you do?

2 comments:

Dyah said...

Aqila had his dose of Tamiflu several months ago, when he was down with the flu. The doctor at the hospital straight away ordered the vaccine to be given to Aqila, as it was (and still is??) encouraged to be given to young children.

In Aqila's case, the side effect was vomitting. Poor him.

We, the parents, have not gotten our dose yet. I think by leading healthy life and alwayspay attention on hygiene and cleanliness is good enough to ward off the virus.

Besides, I might have caught the virus when I was down with flu last month anyway!

Syari said...

Dyah, this vaccine isn't tamiflu. I think something new made by a hungarian pharmaceutical company here.

My bro in law is a prison warden here. Some of the prisoners got vaccinated and he said they were in bad shape for 2-3 days. Those are adults, I just not too keen to know how it would effect Bonnie.

Then the side effects are one thing and the thimerosal in the vaccine is another.

So that's why we'd rather take the risk of not vaccinating and be extra cautious.

Blogger news